Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Oh to turn 29; Happy Birthday to ME!

Ah, to be 29. When it’s your birthday people always ask you if you feel older, right now, I don’t, but as my sister said, wait a few months!! I can’t believe that I am one year away from being in my Thirties!!! It seems like just yesterday I had my 20th birthday and entering my Twenties and now I’m in the last year of my Twenties!!

My birthday weekend started off great. On Friday, Matthew sent me flowers, tulips, and took me out to dinner at Lonestar Steakhouse. We had to go somewhere where I’d feel close to home : ) On Saturday we spent the day at the Williamsburg Outlets. We ended up walking the whole mall. It was nice in the sun, but a little chilly in the shade. I got to get a few more Pink Kitchen Aid items to try and complete all my accessories. I’m lacking a few big items, like the Chopper and Food Processor, which can wait, and some of the utensils, mixing bowls, tongs, and the cutting board. We had registered for the cutting board on our wedding registry but could never find it. My Mom looked everywhere. I found one on the Kitchen Aid website which is where I found the tongs and the mixing bowls. There is also a utensil holder that has 5 or 6 utensils in it that I have seen during October at BB&B but they aren’t out right now. I guess I’ll have to wait until then to get that. Most all stores will have the Pink items in then; October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I think I might order the tongs, bowls, and cutting board now so I can get those items, but we’ll see. I was able to get the pizza cutter, whisks, and measuring spoons at one of the outlet places. Matthew is so good about finding me all my pieces : )

We also went into the Harry & David store there. I love their Truffles, but they are so outrageous in price, I don’t get them that often. While I was reading some stuff the other day I came across an excerpt about how Harry & David had partnered with the USO to deliver snacks to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can go into any store, buy a selected item and they will package it up and deliver it for you. Since that is something that I know is needed first hand, I told Matthew I wanted to send something. The food over there is not always the best and some days it’s completely awful. I know there were many, many, many days and nights where Matthew’s meal was some type of snack that I had sent in his care packages. The drive ended on Sunday so it’s too late for any of you to go send something from Harry & David, BUT if you hear of an organization that accepts donations to send overseas, buy an extra box of crackers or something at the store the next time you go and donate it. The $4.00 you spend is pennies compared to what our troops do for us overseas. God Bless them!!

So Sunday was my birthday and it also so happened to be Matthew’s 24 hour duty day. He tried to switch with a few other guys but he couldn’t find anyone, so he talked to his section leader and they gave him approval to leave for a few hours so we could go to dinner! He left at 6am Sunday morning for work, then came home around 2pm, then went back at 9pm, and got home Monday at 5pm. A LONG 2 days for him. We went to The Melting Pot. If you have never been there, you should totally go. It is so good. It’s a little weird the first time cooking your own food, but it taste SO good AND the best part is dessert!! Despite Matthew having to go back to work afterwards, all in all, I had a perfect day! : )

Here are some pics from the weekend:

My flowers!

Aren't they pretty : )

On our way to my Birthday dinner!

Yum!

The "before" picture :)

Course 1: Cheese Fondue

Course 2: Dinner Salads

Course 3: The meat & veggies

Our "pot"!

All done!!

Course 4: The dessert!!!

Happy Birthday to me!!!

All done! : )

The "after" picture! We were FULL!


No comments: